Ability estate agents are London’s premier letting agency if you are looking to rent as a tenant. We do not charge agency fees to tenants. We specialise in a complete letting service from tenant sourcing, to full property management. Our lettings solutions are tailored to your exact needs, and our expert letting professionals are on hand to guide you every step of the way.
To find out how how we can help our with your property search why not get in contact using the form below.
Fees and Permitted payments for tenants
What permitted payments can be charged?
- A tenancy deposit - capped at no more than five weeks rent if your annual rent is less than £50,000 or six weeks if your annual rent is above £50,000
- A holding deposit - capped at no more than one weeks rent
- Payments to change the tenancy agreement (requested by the Tenant) - capped at £50
- A default charge for late payment of rent and replacement of lost keys/security device
- A charge for early termination of the tenancy initiated by the tenant
What payments are not permitted?
From 1 June 2019, agents and Landlords will not be able to charge Tenants for setting up a tenancy, for a renewal of a tenancy, or for checking out, under the Act.
However, if the tenancy was entered into before 1 June 2019 and it was agreed in that contract to pay certain renewal fees, then a Landlord or agent can charge these fees for a renewed fixed-term agreement or statutory periodic agreement up until 31 May 2020. For tenancies entered into before 1 June 2019, the Landlord/agent can also charge for checking out, up until 31 May 2020.